the recent fetishization of frida kahlo not only strips her art & life of its revolutionary & political message but cheapens her into an accessory for quirky rookie mag type girls
The Ronettes - Be My Baby
1. VHS, DVD, or BluRay? - DVD~
11. A movie you hate from a director you love. - Watch me lose all cred as a proper Film Person™. Oh dear, here we go… Taxi Driver (Scorsese) and The Shining (Kubrick).
knights of cydonia // muse
no one’s gonna take me alive
the time has come to make things right
you and i must fight for our rights
you and i must fight to survive
one of my favorite things about watching sunny is catching the cast either breaking or trying to hide their laughter so here’s a two minute compilation of it happening
16. Long epics, or short indies? - Short indies! I love a good long epic, but short indies are my livelihood.
27. A movie that makes you nostalgic. - Holes, the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie, A Knight’s Tale, and various others.
14. A movie that made you uncomfortable and why. - Lawn Dogs, despite it also being a really good movie. It was about the friendship between a “white trash” adult male and an upper-middle-class little girl and the ensuing Suburban Panic of the girl’s town when they found out about it. I was far more discomforted by the startlingly accurate portrayal of passive-aggressive rich white people than I was by the whole “mistaken for pedophilia” plot, oddly enough.
15. A movie you regret paying for. - The 2013 remake of The Evil Dead, oh my god, that was sooo shitty.
26. A movie that portrays your ideal world. - Since this movie takes place in the real world, it more portrays my ideal ~location than anything else, but I am so in love with the environment and general quaintness of the town in Moonrise Kingdom. The mix of nautical aesthetics and forestry is A+ for me. Plus there don’t seem to be a whole dearth of Horrible Problems there, so there’s that.
21. Describe yourself in three films. - I’m like a weird mix between Mallrats, Rushmore, and Melancholia (which, incidentally, are also some of my favorites).
24. Do you prefer to watch movies alone, with friends, or with an audience? - I like to watch it alone for the first viewing most times, then with friends/family during repeat viewings.
30. Favorite movie ending? - This is such a loaded question, oh god, so many good endings out there. A recent favorite is the Inglourious Basterds ending, because, whoa man, the last 20 minutes or so of that movie are just so gratifying.
4. Who is your #1 director crush? - Too many directors. I don’t have a #1 fave but I think David Fincher was the first director that I really felt like I could say “I like this director” about.
9. Comfort film(s)? - Finding Nemo is the #1 Ultimate Supreme comfort film for me. I love it so much. I love Pixar in general so much. Whoa man
20. Already answered~